Top 5 Ways to Add Flavor to Your Meals in a Healthy WayKen Bendor
1. Garlic and Onions. Garlic and onions both have very powerful tastes. These bulbs are an excellent way to add calorie and salt free flavor to your dishes. You can saute them in a small amount of oil for a truly unique taste.
2. Salt-Free Seasonings. In the past, most of the seasonings were made from salt. Now there are just as many salt free options. Two of the most popular ones are Salt Free All Purpose Seasoning by McCormick and Mrs. Dash. These seasonings are made from a variety of herbs, spices, vegetables and other extracts.
3. Herbs and Spices. Adding your favorite herbs and spices is also a healthy way to add flavor to your dishes. Oregano, parsley, rosemary and chili powder are some of the most popular choices.
4. Olive Oil. While not calorie free, olive oil has it’s own unique taste that goes great with salads, sauces and marinades.
5. Vegetables. Vegetables are a great and healthy way to increase flavor. They are high in vitamins, minerals and fiber which makes them healthy but more importantly for your meals, they are also high in taste.
Honorary Mention. Salt. Salt can also be a good way to enhance the flavor of your dishes. Most of the sodium that this country consumes is added into processed foods. If you cook your own meals, adding a pinch of salt won’t make you sick. To avoid taking in too much, first try the food without adding any. Avoid adding salt while you’re cooking so that those eating can decide how much to put on. You can always add more if you need to, but once it’s there, you can’t take it out.