1. Chicken. Chicken, when grilled or baked is high in good quality protein and low in fat and calories. It’s a lot lower in calories and saturated fat than most cuts of beef.
2. Brown Rice. Rice is a great side dish that includes plenty of fiber and nutrients. Use brown rice for an even healthier addition to your meal.
3. 100% Whole Wheat Pasta. Pasta, like rice, is high in fiber and nutrients. Try finding pasta thatis made out of 100% whole wheat flour. This will be digested slower and keep you full more than white pasta will. Make sure you check the nutrition label to see if 100% whole wheat flour is listed as the first ingredient.
4. Vegetables. Salads are low in calories but high in volume. They’ll fill you up without adding too many calories to your daily intake. You can top them with low fat salad dressing or olive oil and vinegar.
5. Sandwiches. Sandwiches are easy to prepare and can be very nutritious if you add the right ingredients. Whole wheat bread, vegetables and cold cuts are all healthy additions. Use mustard, ketchup or light mayonnaise for more taste. Just like picking the right kind of pasta, when you’re buying bread, make sure you check the ingredients to make sure that 100% whole wheat flour is the first one listed.